Assignment: Determinants of Population Health
Assignment: Determinants of Population Health
When the health of a population is measured by various mortality indicators such as life expectancy, infant or child mortality, or the chances of surviving to retirement, surprising trends emerge. Health, as measured by longevity, appears to be declining in substantial segments of the U.S. population, especially for women (United Health Foundation, 2013). These findings receive little attention in most public health efforts or in the mainstream media, at least in the United States.
For this Assignment, you select health indicators used to measure the health of the U.S. population and contrast them to other countries around the world. You compare various determinants of health within different states in the United States as well as across continents.
To prepare for this Assignment, complete the readings and view the media in your Learning Resources. Install the free Gapminder Desktop tool and experiment plotting different health outcomes against various determinants already loaded along the two axes. Using the various health ranking resources provided, select two key health indicators for which the United States ranks lower than other nations.
Note: In grading every required Application Assignment, your Instructor uses an Application Assignment Rubric, located in the Course Information area. Review this rubric prior to completing your assignment.
The Assignment (3–4 pages): Assignment: Determinants of Population Health
- Provide a brief description of the two health indicators you selected, citing specific sources.
- Explain how the U.S. ranks on these indicators compared to other nations.
- Explain two factors that might influence those rankings and the relative standing of the U.S. compared to the other nations.
- Determine which two states rank the best and which two states rank the worst for those indicators. Describe factors you believe might contribute to those relative rankings among the states.
- Share any insights you gained or conclusions you drew as a result of making these comparisons.
- Expand on your insights utilizing the Learning Resources.
By Day 7
Submit your Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 2 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK2Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission. Assignment: Exposing the Gaps—How Does the United States Compare in Key Determinants of Health?
To access your rubric:Rubric Detail
Select Grid View or List View to change the rubric’s layout.
Excellent Good Fair Poor
Points Range: 63 (63%) – 70 (70%)
Paper demonstrates an excellent understanding of all of the concepts and key points presented in the text/s and Learning Resources. Paper provides significant detail including multiple relevant examples, evidence from the readings and other sources, and discerning ideas.
Points Range: 56 (56%) – 62 (62%)
Paper demonstrates a good understanding of most of the concepts and key points presented in the text/s and Learning Resources. Paper includes moderate detail, evidence from the readings, and discerning ideas.
Points Range: 49 (49%) – 55 (55%)
Paper demonstrates a fairunderstanding of the concepts and key points as presented in the text/s and Learning Resources. Paper may be lacking in detail and specificity and/or may not include sufficient pertinent examples or provide sufficient evidence from the readings.
Points Range: 0 (0%) – 48 (48%)
Paper demonstrates poor understanding of the concepts and key points of the text/s and Learning Resources. Paper is missing detail and specificity and/or does not include any pertinent examples or provide sufficient evidence from the readings. Assignment: Determinants of Population Health
Points Range: 27 (27%) – 30 (30%)
Paper is well organized, uses scholarly tone, follows APA style, uses original writing and proper paraphrasing, contains very few or no writing and/or spelling errors, and is fully consistent with graduate level writing style. Paper contains multiple, appropriate and exemplary sources expected/required for the assignment.
Points Range: 24 (24%) – 26 (26%)
Paper is mostly consistent with graduate level writing style. Paper may have some small or infrequent organization, scholarly tone, or APA style issues, and/or may contain a few writing and spelling errors, and/or somewhat less than the expected number of or type of sources.
Points Range: 21 (21%) – 23 (23%)
Paper is somewhat below graduate level writing style, with multiple smaller or a few major problems. Paper may be lacking in organization, scholarly tone, APA style, and/or contain many writing and/or spelling errors, or shows moderate reliance on quoting vs. original writing and paraphrasing. Paper may contain inferior resources (number or quality).
Points Range: 0 (0%) – 20 (20%)
Paper is well below graduate level writing style expectations for organization, scholarly tone, APA style, and writing, or relies excessively on quoting. Paper may contain few or no quality resources.
Total Points: 100
Name: PUBH_8050_Week2_Assignment_Rubric Assignment: Determinants of Population Health